Studsvik is at the forefront of radioactive waste management providing solutions across a range of industries with Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM). We provide turnkey solutions to our customers to ensure their radioactive materials are handled safely and wastes disposed in line with regulatory requirements.
Studsvik has built upon its extensive experience of managing the nuclear industry’s legacy waste and can bring this expertise to projects within the NORM industrial activity sector. Whilst the waste, legislation and client drivers are undoubtedly different, the techniques and principles utilized to successfully identify, treat and dispose of NORM are the same. The safe and cost effective treatment and disposal of radioactive waste is day-to-day business for Studsvik and we have a proven track record of working with our clients to deliver the right solution every time.
Studsvik’s NORM waste management services are fully supported by an integrated team of radiation protection consultants including Radiation Protection Advisers (RPA) and health physics personnel. Service offerings cover all aspects of radiological protection, from production of Prior Radiological Risk Assessments to advice on dosimetry provision.
Studsvik delivers the full range of consultancy and on-site services to manage NORM projects from inception to completion and our areas of expertise include:
- Environmental Assessments for NORM-contaminated materials (BPEO, BAT and BPM)
- Licensing and regulatory compliance including EPR10 and RSA93
- Sampling and analysis for waste fingerprint generation
- Design and implementation of waste assay techniques and methodologies
- On-site assay and waste packaging
- Consignment paperwork for treatment/disposal sites
- Transport of waste to appropriate treatment/disposal sites
- Site clearance and land contamination surveys
- Contaminated land remediation