Studsvik has developed and patented a waste treatment technology based upon the use of fluid bed steam reforming technology. This innovative radioactive waste treatment process is commonly referred to as THOR. Various applications of this technology have been deployed for the treatment of radioactive wastes generated from government and commercial nuclear operations in the United States, Europe, and Asia.
With little to no pretreatment required, this robust technology can cost effectively address a wide variety of problematic waste streams including liquids, solids, sludges, and gases. Our design and implementation team provides customized solutions using the THOR technology for radiological, hazardous, and environmental impacting waste streams.
The THOR technology has and can be implemented for the treatment of:
- Spent Ion Exchange Resins from commercial nuclear power stations
- Sodium bearing waste from reprocessing of nuclear fuel
- Nitrate wastes from the production of UF6
- Oils and sludges
- High organic and high level waste from nuclear research facilities
- Dry Active Wastes (PPE) from nuclear facility operations
Advantages and Benefits of THOR
- Robust and proven technology since 1999
- Non-incineration treatment process
- Complete destruction of organic materials
- Conversion of reactive chemicals into inert mineral products
- Effective capture and immobilization of radionuclides
- Volume reduction
- Final product exhibits excellent properties for environment isolation and disposal.