Studsvik Nuclear AB’s operations are conducted for the most part in laboratories and facilities in Studsvik, 28 km from Nyköping and 100 km south of Stockholm, Sweden.
The company was formed in 1947 as AB Atomenergi and at that time operated mainly in Stockholm. Building of the Studsvik facility started in 1955.
Today the company provides services within materials technology and advanced consultancy services.
Materials testing for safe reactor operation
On behalf of customers Studsvik's laboratories carry out
- tests of uranium fuel and cladding to ensure stable and safe reactor operation,
- measurements of resistance in different operating conditions,
- crack growth measurements and other corrosion studies, which reduce fuel and material related reactor shutdowns, ensure the life of the material in the reactor and reduce radioactive doses to reactor personnel.
Qualified consulting services
Studsvik Nuclear has many qualified employees with competence in a number of different areas. Services offered include:
- Support for facility operation: Safety analysis reports, annual reports, facility changes (documentation), dispersion and dose calculations, emergency preparedness issues.
- Decommissioning: Radiological surveys, decommissioning plans, project management and technical support.
- Waste issues: Waste plans, type descriptions, waste descriptions, technical support.
- Safety issues: Reactor technology (fission and fusion), thermohydraulics, core kinetics.
- Environmental technology: Environmental impact assessment, radio-ecology, ecosystem technology, geoscience.